Asparagus Refrigerator Pickles© Chef Laura Bonicelli
A crunchy treat to have on hand for a snack or quick addition to a salad
5 from 1 vote
- 1 quart jar
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus spears
- 1 pint water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cloves garlic -- peeled
- 4 dill sprigs or dill flower heads -- or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 lemon slices
- 2 dried chilis
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Snap off the bottoms of the asparagus. Discard the bottoms or reserve for another use.
- Drop the asparagus in the boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove from the water and drop them into the ice bath. Leave the asparagus in the ice bath for 30 seconds; remove to the paper towel-lined pan.
- Bring the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Cool the brine slightly while you put the ingredients into the jar.
- Put the garlic in the bottom of the jar. Tip the jar on its side; load in the asparagus spears, alternating tips. Pack the asparagus tightly. Add the other ingredients to the jar.
- Put the jar upright and pour the brine over the asparagus. Make sure the asparagus is completely covered with the brine.
- Secure the lid and refrigerate.
Recipe By :Chef Laura Bonicelli
Calories: 30kcalCarbohydrates: 6gProtein: 3gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 1313mgPotassium: 235mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 892IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!