Charred Chili Rellenos© Chef Laura Bonicelli
My version of Chili Rellenos uses charred poblano peppers stuffed with a mixture of cheeses, herbs, and seasonings. I bake the Rellenos in a simple tomato sauce that takes on the poblano peppers' subtle smokey heat.
5 from 1 vote
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta or queso blanco -- plus extra for topping
- 2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced oregano
- 1 clove garlic -- minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 poblano chili peppers -- keep tops on; slit open down one side and remove seeds
- 1 28- ounce can tomato sauce
- cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the ricotta, feta or queso blanco, cheddar, cilantro, oregano, garlic, and cumin.
- Char the peppers on a stovetop burner open flame or grill until they are blackened and limp. Cool in a saran-covered bowl. Remove most of the blackened skin.
- Coat a pan with cooking spray and cover with a layer of the tomato sauce.
- Fill the poblanos with the filling and place them in a baking dish. Add more sauce to cover and break the extra feta or queso blanco over the top. Bake until the filling is very hot, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with the cilantro leaves sprinkled on top.
Calories: 260kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 15gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 1038mgPotassium: 758mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1517IUVitamin C: 105mgCalcium: 334mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!