Jump to Recipe
Thai Red Curry Paste© Chef Laura Bonicelli
5 from 1 vote
Prep Time 30 minutes mins
- food processor
- spice grinder
- 18 dried Thai red chili peppers -- seeded and halved
- 4 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 fresh lemongrass stalks
- 4 teaspoons galangal or ginger root -- peeled and chopped
- 18 kaffir lime leaves -- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 5 tablespoons shallot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic
- 15 fresh red serrano chilies -- stemmed seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp. shrimp paste
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Cut dried chilies into 1/4-inch pieces with kitchen shears and soak in warm water until softened for about 20 minutes. Drain well in a sieve.
- While chiles soak, toast coriander and peppercorns in a dry small heavy skillet over moderate heat, shaking the skillet until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes, then cool. Thinly slice lower 6 inches of lemongrass stalks and finely chop. Finely grind the coriander and peppercorns in a spice grinder.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse together the lemongrass, galangal, lime leaves, cilantro, shallot, garlic, fresh chilies, and soaked dried chilies. Add a tablespoon or more of water if the mixture is too thick. Add in the coriander-peppercorn mixture, shrimp paste, and salt and pulse until combined well.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!